Occupational wellness is about living your purpose in life. Are you a stay-at-home mom who feels fulfilled by this calling? Are you working in a job outside of the home that you love? If you answer yes to either of these questions, you probably have high occupational wellness. However, if you feel like something is missing in your pursuit of purpose, you could possibly use a boost in occupational wellness.
Occupational wellness is about self-exploration. It is difficult to decide what your calling is if you are unsure of who you are. The following are some tips to enhance your occupational wellness.
- Explore your work values. Values tends to stay consistent over time. If you choose an occupation that matches what you value, satisfaction often increases.
- Take a personality assessment. Personality is a set of traits that stay consistent over time. Again, if you match your personality with a matching occupation, you will feel happier.
- Take an interest inventory. Finding your purpose that matches your values, personality and interests, can lead to fulfillment.
- Use your results of your self-exploration to see what is out there. There are so many varieties of occupations that you many not even be aware of. Two great resources are O’Net online and the Occupational Handbook.
- Read books. Two books that I really enjoyed about finding your purpose are by author Dan Miller. They are No More Dreaded Mondays and 48 Days to the Work you Love.
- Finally, remember mama, you are already doing the most important job in the world (in my opinion). Raising your tiny humans.
Wellness for Mothers Series