If you saw yesterday’s post, you saw the video about the #worldstoughestjob. Motherhood. You are on the clock 24/7 – 365. Whether you are a working mom or stay at home mom, there is little time for rest. This is a time in your life when you need to become very intentional about taking breaks. Sometimes it is easier not to. You keep going until you pass out on your pillow at night, then do it all over again. Trust me, you need to make an effort to take a break. Here are some ideas for you:
- Take a shower! People who are not mothers may look at me funny for saying this; however, new mothers have been known to struggle with this basic self care routine. Being clean feels good and you get a few moments to yourself. Do it while your partner is home to help or while baby is asleep. Make it a priority.
- Take at least an hour, if possible, to go somewhere by yourself during the week. This is especially important for stay-at-home moms. Have your partner or family member watch the little ones while you head to the coffee shop.
- Attend counseling. Anyone can benefit from counseling. Mothers can take the time to process through major life changes with an objective viewpoint.
- Splurge on yourself (again if possible). Book a massage, pedicure or other enjoyable treatment.
- Spend time with a mom friend. It is relieving to be around other moms who are going through the same stages as you.
Each individual has her own way of taking a break. Just be sure to make the conscious effort to do so, even if it is a couple minutes.